WELCOME

My photo
I've fished for as long as I can remember, moving from bait to spinning, then to fly fishing much later in my life. But I must confess that I still may leave my fly rod behind to wander the stream with my spinning gear. While this 'blog' focuses on my piscatorial pursuits, it may at times digress.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rest of Season on the local


Over, the summer I hit the local a few times with mixed results. A rainy day at the end of June when the fish were on and I kept one good brown. Later in July, I hooked a nice brown one evening while playing with my 4 wt in the upstream section, I was using a muddler with a beadhead trailer, the flyfishing equivalent of fishing with a bobber.

The end of the season crept up on me but I had to sneak out for the last day. A good day sun and clouds, water still up from the rains on Tuesday. I caught and released several small fish and raised but missed at least four fish over 40 cm. Finally toward the end of the day, fishing a pool section above a beaver dam, I had a good strike from a good fish, landed it and as it was a male, I kept it. A few casts later another strike, a brief encounter with an even bigger fish and then nothing.

All in all a good year, the stream is healthy, many smaller fish and enough larger ones to keep it interesting. The big fish will spawn later this fall and next year perhaps we’ll meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment